SNAPPING THE SNAP DOWN

20 Sep

Food Stamps Cut

I feel outraged when I read that the government today has voted to eliminate 39 billion dollars that has been going to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP formerly known as Food Stamps) over the next decade.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/09/19/who-voted-for-and-against-the-food-stamp-bill/

I think of all the people who are barely surviving in our country that can’t afford the outrageous prices of Gas to get to their Job or the constantly rising prices of Food.  Meanwhile Companies are increasing the Healthcare Expenses, cutting down on overtime or even pushing you to become a part time worker.  As we lost our house and had nowhere to go I tried to get food stamps for my family but we make just above the cut off limit so therefore we get nothing.  I tried to talk to a person about how we are losing our home and can’t afford rent and basically it didn’t matter.  This opened up my eyes quickly to how many people can’t afford shelter on their family income and don’t get any assistance at all.  Yes we all hear about those cheaters out there who lie and get money.  Not everyone in cheating but just trying to live and get by.

Do you hurt your whole society because a small percent of people have taken all the wealth away?  How do people survive when all they can get are part time jobs?  People will become hopeless as they can find no work and now are cut off from assistance to get food.  I also can’t take hearing about how people abuse food stamps by buying junk food.

All supermarkets are filled of Junk Food.  Every single item is processed and loaded with chemicals.  Only a small section has any natural fruits and vegetables which cost a fortune.  How does our society want to blame people and belittle them for eating poorly when everywhere people go there is junk food at schools, libraries, churches, museums, corporations, supermarkets and gas stations.

By eating healthy vegetables and fruits you become outcast from all the American traditions of birthdays, weddings, funerals, churches, ball games, baby shows, Christmas, Halloween,  and Valentine’s Day.  In America junk food is honored but yet a poor person in need of food is scorned for eating.  A fat person on Food Stamps is laughed at because society says they don’t need assistance for food.  Yet all people eating the SAD diet are starving for real nutrition.  Fat on peoples bodies are a deception.  Times today are worse because people have less access to real food

My question is when will more people become outraged?  Is it that there is just a hopeless feeling and that  this is life?  Have people blamed themselves instead of seeing what has happened.  People have been deceived while being robbed of their homes, real food and jobs.  Our lands in America have been striped and turned into factory farms.  Have Americans been bullied by Robber Barons?

Now the poorest of our society will be not be helped and I don’t see places looking for full time workers.  I search the ads and see low paying part time jobs with high turn over?  Where are all of these jobs that are supposed to turn our economy around?  What I see is my A&P being robbed and the other week I was at the mall and there was a pile of people on top of each other.  I ran out fast with my two little daughters.  You think I lived in some Ghetto but I live in the suburbs of America where once upon a time a person could take care of their family on one income.  No one in America should ever go hungry.

About these ads

6 Responses to “SNAPPING THE SNAP DOWN”

1. Ant September 20, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

The Government can budget Warships, being sent to Syria, with possible Missile strikes, but yet we can’t budget to feed our own people! SAD indeed!

2. kenedra October 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

How do u take food from kids and the elders so sad

• Americana Knight October 13, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

I agree that it is so sad. The people who are at their weakest and need help will really suffer. Moms who are barely getting by need food for themselves and their children. The elderly who worked hard for their country are now in a sense outcasts. The job discrimination towards single moms with babies and the elderly does exist. How are these groups of people suppose to survive?

In North Carolina – Moms are already being turned away and not getting formula for their babies. Check out this news article:

• kristyreal October 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

I am certainly outraged enough for three or four people so I’m doing my part. LOL Seriously, though, I read that the free health club provided for congressmen was deemed “necessary” and remained open during the shutdown, but WIC was shut down. Talk about being out of touch with constituents….

You guys need to find a little piece of land and build a cob house and rocket mass heater and root cellar and start growing your own food and raising your own meat. That’s what we’re doing…..It’s only going to get worse from here for the average American. I think corn- and chemical-free homesteaders will be the new pioneers…..and why not? We’re already the canaries in the coal mine.

3. Americana Knight October 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

I never heard of a cob house or rocket mass heater. I was just looking on the internet to see what it was. How totally awesome! Did you build your own house and heater? That is so creative!

The corn allergy has sure taught me many skills from dehydrating foods to making our own tooth paste which I’m thankful for your help online as I was learning!

• kristyreal October 18, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

I haven’t built it yet, but I will. We have chemical sensitivity and cob buildings are the only completely chemical-free option out there. We will be moving into a place with new walls and roof so I am terrified that ozone treatments won’t pull out all the chemical off-gassing.